Saturday, July 7, 2012

MY CULTURE JOURNEY






I really enjoyed this week’s blog assignment, I was able to think what would I be able to bring that I could latter look at and feel my roots and culture .As I looked around my home I realized that I have many religious artifacts that have been handed down to me by family members. The one that stood out the  most is a large golden cross, that my Godmother gave me when I was baptized. This was brought from the Dominican Republic and belonged to her mother. I would take this to be able to explain that Latinos have a strong Christian religious belief and to confirm mine.



The second item would be a picture album with all my families pictures This album has all of my family photos in it including pictures of my grandparents and the home in which my dad was born in Cuba .I would take this to make sure never to forget where we came from and to explain how different yet how alike we all are..



The third item would have to be a cooking utensil called Pilon, this is used to mash plantains and to make what we call  adobo which is garlic, salt and oregano. You mash it in the pilon and season your meats, poultries and etc. This is the heart to Latino cooking .I am positive that I would not be able to buy this where I was going. Since food is the taste of different cultures this would be an opportunity for me to give them a taste of mine.



When thinking about which one I would chose, it was difficult because I was torn between memories, religion and food .I went with the pilon. The answer   is that I think that memories cannot be erased and religion is inside our souls. The magic of food brings everyone together and gives us the opportunity to share our diversity and feel at home where ever we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment