Saturday, July 14, 2012


*        
Perspectives on Diversity and Culture


*        

This week finding out what others think about diversity and culture was very interesting for me  I first asked one of the moms in the program who is Mexican what she thought culture meant and what was her view?
  I loved her answer. She immediately said it is my music, art and food. I thought that was such a beautiful way to express how she felt.I found it to be interesting that she was able to relate to art as culture most people do not.

 Then I asked one of my co-workers who comes from Australia and is a young male his.
 interpretation of what culture is?


  He said that it was what has been handed down to him by his ancestors.I also liked that ,but to vague.

.My young intern from Israel said that culture for her was a mix of many things that make her who she is.
 For example she said her religious beliefs and customs, the way she dresses and the food that she eats and does not eat. That was fascinating, because we only thing about what we can eat, she explained that she does not mix dairy with meat or consume pork.You learn something new everyday.


 Then I asked them what was their definition of diversity? They all pretty much had the same answer. Diversity is just that being different I wanted them to be more in depth and have a more unique answer, but they would all say the same thing. I realized that everyone is not as well informed of what diversity really means and that maybe this is why many people are not accepting of it. Do they realize all that diversity includes, family compositions, and different ethnic groups and race? It seemed to me that they just thought of color, and being from a different country.

No comments:

Post a Comment